Tis’ the season to head out and pick your own berries…better known as “U-Pick”! While some U-Pick berry farms are finished for the season, others are still in full bloom. For instance, strawberries can still be picked in many places across the province. Below are some ways you can add a little flavor to your food with your fresh berries.
- Add to your cereal in the morning
- Make a delicious smoothie
- You can add them to your toast (great addition to your peanut butter toast…yum!)
- Top your yogurt
- Sprinkle over your salad for some extra summer flavor goodness
- Berries can also be a great ingredient for some main dishes, like sandwiches
- Lastly, what better way to use your fresh berries than in a delicious healthy dessert!
Check out this delicious sandwich that you can add some of your freshly picked strawberries to:
- 1 (8-oz.) Brie round OR cheese of choice
- 8 slices of whole grain Panini bread
- Turkey (OR chicken if you prefer)..always best to use non processed meats
- 8 fresh basil leaves OR fresh greens of your choice
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 tbsp red pepper jelly
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- Garnish: strawberry halves
If using brie cheese, trim and discard rind. Cut Brie into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Layer 4 bread slices evenly with turkey (or chicken), basil leaves (or greens of choice), strawberries, and Brie (or cheese of choice).Spread 1 1/2 tsp. pepper jelly on 1 side of each of remaining 4 bread slices; place bread slices, jelly sides down, on top of Brie. Brush sandwiches with melted butter. Cook sandwiches in a preheated panini press 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown (if available). Can also cook over stove on a grill pan (2-3 mins on each side) or grill in oven until done. Garnish, if desired.
Recipe adapted from: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/strawberry-turkey-brie-panini-10000001886350/print/
Janel Genge is a registered dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation Newfoundland and Labrador