Summer has finally arrived in our province!! After a long cold winter we need a change of scenery. This beautiful warm weather is a great way to plan some outside meals…..it’s the perfect “picnic weather!” Next time you’re planning a picnic, choose some healthy food choices that are refreshing and satisfying for your whole family.
Some great foods you can enjoy on your picnic are:
- Start your picnic with some easy appetizers such as cheese and crackers or vegetables and dip.
- Cold sandwiches, subs and wraps (chicken, tuna, peanut butter, cheese, etc) are the perfect main course for your family picnic.
- Garden salads or other cold salads are always a nice colourful side dish.
- Fresh juicy fruit such as melons, oranges and berries are a delicious treat for your picnic.
- Cold water or homemade 100% fruit punch are refreshing beverage choices – to keep it cool freeze some orange slices or other fruit before you go, add it to the drinks and they can act as your ice cubes!
When packing for your picnic, it’s important that you don’t forget to practice food safety:
- Keep cool foods cool; put food in a cooler with some ice or ice packs.
- Warm foods can be tricky to bring on a picnic as they need to be eaten right away, unless you have the appropriate supplies to keep warm foods warm, it’s best to stick to cold food choices for your picnic.
- Foods such as meats, dressings, mayo and sauces should not be setting out in the sun for an extended period of time.
Enjoy the picnic weather!
Janel Genge is a registered dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation Newfoundland and Labrador