In most schools throughout the province final exams have started…and so have the long nights of studying, worry and stressing about them. With so much on their minds, students often don’t take the time to eat regular meals or in some cases eat at all when studying for final exams. To keep the mind fueled and the body energized we must stress the importance of eating well during exam time.
In order for students to eat well during exam time most want something quick that they can grab and eat while they study or head out to meet up with some friends for a study date. Offer some of the healthy quick choices below to ensure your children are getting the nutrition their body requires during exam time:
- Cold sandwiches – add a protein (chicken, roast beef, tuna, egg) and some other nutritious toppings such as lettuce, tomato, avocado and cheese.
- Warm wraps or pitas – add some chicken or beef and top with peppers, lettuce, tomato and cheese.
- Fruit and yogurt parfait cups – for some extra nutrition use a Greek yogurt and sprinkle on some granola and almonds.
- Mix veggies – pack up some fresh raw veggies with a side of ranch dip for a quick snack at the library
- Always have some quick snacks on hand such as granola bars, crackers and cheese, whole grain muffins with berries, yogurt cups, trail mix, bottle water and other nutritious quick snacks.
We are wishing all students good luck with their exams. Remember Good Eating = Good Thinking!
Janel Genge is a registered dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation Newfoundland and Labrador