It’s the time of year when we decide to do things better. One of the most common New Year’s Resolutions is to improve our health. We at Kids Eat Smart recognize the importance of healthy eating and how it benefits the children we serve.
Below are some New Year’s Resolutions you can make for your Kids Eat Smart Club:
- Serve fruit or vegetables everyday (either fresh, frozen or can/packaged)
- Serve dairy such as milk or yogurt everyday
- Serve breads, bagels and cereals that are made with whole grains
- Serve less chocolate milk and more white milk
- Once a month, serve something new, fun and exciting
- Create variety on your Club’s menu
- If your Club doesn’t run 5 days a week, try serving one extra day
- If your Club is grab-and-go, if possible make a plan to serve a hot breakfast once a month
- Develop some/more great fundraising initiatives for your Club
- Get more teachers, parents, students and community members involved in your Club
Now get thinking about what you can do in 2014 to make it the best year yet for your Kids Eat Smart Club!!!
Janel Genge is a registered dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation Newfoundland and Labrador